Monday, July 26, 2010

Quick clarification for the media

I got some inquiries regarding the recent press release on caterpillar gut movement. It is entirely my colleagues' X-ray work and I have not taken any part in that project. Thus I am not responsible for any claims in the NPR interview or other press manuscript. Many online media translations started to deviate from the original release and the announcement does not have any bearing on the on-going or past soft robotic projects.

If you really want to see something in the news, the Boston Globe has a more conservative release, and the NSF promotional video was roughly accurate. As a scientist, I am always concerned about interviews from the mass media because the public can always see sciences in some funny ways. Want the real story? Go straight to the researcher(s) who work(s) on the specific project that interests you. You might be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment